Monday, June 30, 2014

Journal Entry for 30 June 2014

     I love my cat, but he thinks he is quite the prince. He has to be the fluffiest cat that I've ever owned and quite easily the laziest.cat I've ever had as a pet. I'm not sure I entirely understand his daily routine. I am occasionally awakened first thing in the morning to the most high pitched of meows that a cat of his size should not bellow...ever. It's confusing. He will not sleep on the bed unless there is a flattened sheet area about 6 times his body size for him to lay on. If the blanket is in the way, or the sheet is crumpled up, forget it, he won't even step on it. So it always startles me when he wakes me up and he's setting on the edge of the bed with barely any room, which he will not normally stand for. Once I'm awake he jumps into the floor and stares at the bedroom door. Mission accomplished I believe he is thinking, the "hooman" is awake. Now I can continue my kitty daily routine.
     The next part of his daily routine involves staring out the back patio window and then staring out the front dining room window, back and forth, until he spots a robin. His eyes grow double their size it seems when he spots a robin on the porch. What follows I still cannot understand how he performs it, but he lets loose a meow that sounds like there is a mini machine gun in his throat shooting meows at the birds through the windows. He does this until he passes out in an inverted position, paws every which direction of the compass. I tend to lose track of him by this time and begin my daily studies. To which I am normally thrown off guard again by the sound of the high pitched meow of his at my feet. When you ask him what he wants, he licks his lips. Snack time. If the box of kitty treats are not at my desk, he will lead you to them when you stand. Feeding him snacks though is about the only time he will sit in my lap though. He normally will not sit in anyone's lap and I think it has something to do with the same reason he won't step on a wrinkled blanket. Once snack time is over, it's time for him to walk away and pass out again.
     When bed time comes, it's a bit of a herding experience to get him into the bedroom. He knows what time it is, and it's always with a reluctant walk that he heads to the bedroom and under the bed or to the corner he seems to have claimed. Here he stays until the lights are off and I am in bed. Silently he walks to the door where he lets out one of those high pitched meows. I cannot say anything to the cat that deters him from meowing a few more times. It matters not the tone you take with him, it's as if he knows better and that surely no trouble will come to him. So it must be safe to let loose a few more meows. It is with relief that I relax when his last little mews die off and he finds a place to sleep finally. Until the morning when his routine repeats. What a goof of a cat, I love him though.

2 comments:

  1. Chris,

    It was fun to read this because both my cats think that they are all that matters in the world, haha. I'm glad it's not just my cats that meow constantly, especially when I'm trying to go to bed. At least your cat doesn't scratch the door and the carpet. My cats have gone through the carpet in the doorway of the master bedroom and the door isn't even closed! They just do it for attention, food, and to be let outside. Sigh. The life of a cat. That'd be fun to experience.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah! I understand completely! Many of my cats in the past could tear through so many nice things. Samson (my current pet) however, does not have claws. I am not one who is for declawing animals, but Samson was already declawed when I adopted him from the Humane Shelter or Society, which ever it was. He still acts like he has his claws and paws at the furniture and carpet. He is such a cute goof ball. I do sometimes wonder what it'd be like to experience a day from his perspective. I spoil him too often with those catty shack snacks, it'd be like have my favorite desert four or five times a day. That isn't too bad!!!
      Thank you for your wonderful reply.
      -Chris

      Delete