Saturday, June 14, 2014

Learning about myself as a student and writer via reasoning and the Jung typology test.

     I have always been interested in personality types and tests. Be it in the form of astrological signs of the zodiac, strength finder tests, the Jung typology test, and the numerous others that I have taken in the past. Some of the fun and games, the others more serious with several studies to back them. I have also taken an interest to writing, though more prominently along the lines of fiction. With this knowledge one could imagine the amount of my interest that was perked when I received a Composition 1 course assignment to compare and contrast the Jung typology test results in relation to my writing and my possible experiences as a student. So let us take the path through my thoughts on this adventure.
     I had taken this test about three weeks ago, interestingly enough as a suggestion from a friend. I took the test and came upon the results as an ENFP. I didn't give a whole lot of thought about what it meant at the moment as I happen to be pressed for time. My friend however showed interest and I took his response quite favorable. I figured I'd look into it further later. Fast forward to the present, I sat before my laptop with the website open and ready to take the personality test once again. I was curious how consistent my results would be. It felt as if I hadn't seen any of these questions before and I questioned if the pool of questions were randomized. To my surprise and satisfaction I was consistent in my results as being listed as an ENFP. "But what does that mean?", I wondered. I read over the page of information concerning the ENFP type and shook my head here and nodded my head there as I scrolled down the page. Then I began to piece together, how does this compare to writing and being a student, in terms of my experiences. Allow me to continue.
     I decided it best to break the information down into what I could reason as Pros and Cons in light of being a writer and being a student. First the pros as today I feel like going with the good news first! There is a lot of information that I found pleasing to read, but not all of it out right pertained to writing. In terms of writing, ENFP personality types are great at brainstorming and also natural role-players. Is this true for everyone? I don't know, but I do know that they hold true for me. When I begin to write I can come up with many ideas and imaginings that I would like to transfer into text. Often to further these ideas I mentally role-play the idea or scene out in my head and then write down what took place on the screen behind my eyelids. Both of these points also work well in a student setting, even better if I was to work in a group setting. Brainstorming as a team and a bit of role-play or even devil's advocate in a debatable essay can stir up new thoughts or further current ones. ENFP types tend to be very friendly being both idea-people and people-people, I can see how this would be very beneficial in a classroom or student experience.
     While there are a number of other possible Pros I think we should take a look at some of the perceived Cons for balance. In a classroom or student setting and even as a writer, the ENFP personality type does have some perceived downsides. ENFPs can be easily distracted, especially if one is being kept busy with small uninteresting tasks. I am aware that parts of a number of assignments I have had in the past are those small uninteresting bits that I'd rather not do and also as the personality type suggests, I tend to procrastinate in these areas or mentally work it out through my day until I can sit down and just plow through it. Also one tends to make hasty decisions based on how they are feeling and these can lead to unpredictable results. I am a bit undecided how I feel about this aspect or rather I am split. I can account times in the past I have been hasty in my decision making and also times when I left the situation undecided, letting others decide it for me. Possibly that was my decision to be indecisive, but I digress. Something I found that could be an issue or in conflict with meeting the standards is that ENFPs have a tendency believe that close enough is good enough. Some may have a high standard in contrast with an ENFP and I can see where one or the other would have to step out of their comfort zones to be agreeable on the subject. In the case of the class, one would be wise to assume that it is the student who should. Due to being easily distracted and becoming bored of small uninteresting tasks, it can be difficult for one of the ENFP type to follow through with what they begin. This is an issue for both writing and being a student.
     While I have pointed out the Pros and Cons of what I've learned from this experience, I have dusted off understandings of what of my personality will benefit me and what of it will need to be pushed through and overcame. What an experience!

1 comment:

  1. Very nice reflection. Keep pushing to off the specifics necessary to not leave room for assumption with your audience. ~Ms. A.

    ReplyDelete