Tuesday, June 17, 2014

"This I Believe" Choose One and Freewrite Exercise

     I believe that I am more than my physical body. Such an interesting statement. I am more than my physical body. That was the statement I had heard once in the past by one known as Robert Monroe. While it's easy to choose to be a believer, as one can believe anything said by another or written by another, if he or she so chooses. It is another to be a "knower" of something. I know that the term knower is not grammatically correct, but it has become a title to me. One that is achieved and not handed to you by another or granted to put before your name simply because you attended a course. Most of those titles are still given to those who believe. I believed and still do believe a number of things even though I do not know them. However back to I am more than my physical body. I began in the past to wonder where do I begin and end on the subject who am I and what is this I that I am referring to? Am I my thoughts I would wonder? Am I my emotions or am I this body at that? I say I and refer to this body and I if I inhabit it. Do I inhabit it thought? Or is it possible that it is much like an avatar in some game much like a child would play a video game and control that character on a little screen? Hard to say on that note. I looked at dreaming for example. What are those and how are they made? I tried to do research and follow the thought of scientist, and I'm still not sure that I understood that they understood either. I experienced dreams where I became aware that I was dreaming though I didn't wake up. I took control of my dream state and moved around as I pleased. But how? I wasn't certain. To further this I had an experience I wasn't sure I could explain. I laid down after a long day at a house with a group of friends. It had been a long, exhausting day, and I felt it in my body as I drifted quickly into a sleep state on the couch of the living room. The lights were still on and a friend of mine sat typing at his computer in the living room while others answered phone calls and interpretting dreams. I became aware either before sleeping on in that state of sleep that I was awake. Or was I? For I was not staring at the room from the couch but rather I stared at my own physical body from a few feet from where I slept. It made little physical sense, as the object that was placed here was a coffee table. I could perceive myself clearly in the light of the room. I thought to myself how I shouldn't have fallen asleep with a red blanket pulled around my head. I appeared as a red bearded, red-riding hood, passed out holding a pillow. Quite a strange experience but it was one that lead me to know that I was more than physical...it seems that my 10 minute timer is going off.

The word count above is 545 words.

12 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your free write. I feel like I got a sample of your inner thoughts. I think your questions relating to dreams are fascinating. I experienced "night terrors" starting at age four until around age twenty. I frequently wondered what it was that I dreamt of while they were happening and why. I wonder if dreams really mean something or if they are just a compilation of the random things around us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Adrienne! Thank you for the reply! I talk a lot about dreams outside of college. I attend another school that teaches quite a bit about dreams and interprets them at the end of each class. It's not something that science would be able to get behind since we interpret the symbols or imagery seen in the dream. My experience in doing this has often reveal my state of consciousness with what was going on in my waking life a day or two prior...pretty consistently at that. I also take part in a Dream Catcher's meetup group where we share dreams and such. It still hasn't answered all of my questions but I do enjoy the subject! Thank you so much for the reply!

      Delete
  2. This is definitely an interesting read! Dreams are very strange things. I once dreamed that I was in a scary house being chased by a monster. Apparently I was also sleepwalking and managed to open the garage and walk into the storm that was raging outside. My parents were very perplexed at how I managed to accomplish that! Thanks for the fun post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Cole! Sounds like a scene from one of those Nightmare on Elm St. movies or something... *chills* However, I share some similar past experiences. When I was very young I use to sleep walk as well, I don't recall dreaming, but I would walk through the entire house and open all of the doors wide open. Likewise, my parents were perplexed! So my dad being quite crafty built some door stoppers that would keep me from opening doors unless I was awake enough to remove them. It seemed to solve the problem. Thank you for the reply! I love hearing other people's experiences!

      Delete
  3. Chris,
    I've always wondered where dreams and thoughts come from. I, too, have dreamed of watching my own physical body and being aware that I was dreaming. There have also been times when I've been in a deep sleep and could still hear everything going on around me. It's very eerie, yet intriguing. Excellent post, thank you.
    -Josh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Josh! I love reading over your posts and replies. I can relate to many of the things I've read! Having lucid dreams is always amazing; being able to take control of your dreams and do those things dreams allow you to do equals AWESOME! The watching your own body scenario, I've heard mixed experiences for people. Some are interested like myself and receive the experience quite calmly and others become horrified of the experience fearful of what just happened. I look forward to reading further of what you post as well! Thank you for the reply!!!

      Delete
  4. Wow, I've always wanted to be able to be aware that I am in a dream. I used to read about people who had dreams and could control what's going on in their dream, but in your case it's a little different because your mind was aware of the people around you and the objects around you in real life. Interesting free write, I enjoyed reading it.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sara!!! Thank you for the reply. I began reading about the same experiences of others as well and became interested on the subject I also read of various types of dream experiences that branched over into other subjects. My experiences with lucid dreaming are not nearly as many as I'd like. It's so neat to do things consciously in a dream that seems like it can only be done in a dream!!! The second case is another case indeed. It's something that is not exactly dreaming, and the experience was termed as an out of body experience or an "oobe" by Robert Monroe. Likewise, many people when experiencing this become scared of what is happening, I on the other hand was very interested when it occurred the first time! I love talking about these subjects! Thank you for replying!

      Delete
  5. Hello Chris,

    Very interesting free writing I enjoyed reading it. I had similar dreams but not as complex as yours. I usually have dreams every night and some times I have wonder if I thought of something or if it was just a dream. I also tend to have those dreams where you are walking and you trip and jump on the bed and wake up , or the once where you fall of a building , yeah no fun . Thank you for giving us a little insight of your thoughts.

    Isabel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Isabel!!! It has been awhile since I've had those wake-up dreams. I recall them from when I was younger. I had learned in a dream to jump into my bed or off a building to wake up. How this came about I do not know, because it never felt entirely like a conscious decision. The falling off of a building ones can really be scary. The most recent dream I had that woke me up was one where I was swimming in an ocean and a shark bit into my shoulder and took me under the water. Pretty intense dream! Thank you for your reply! Enjoy dreaming!!!

      Delete
  6. Wow. This was very interesting to read. I have never met someone else who has even been aware that they are dreaming. I have been this way for a long time and on occasion I am able to change the course of my dreams. I have never had the other experience that you spoke of, however. It would be crazy to watch yourself sleep. Dreams are amazing and odd things. There are so many unanswered questions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Michaela!!! Thank you for your response! That is so neat that you have had these experiences as well! Those where you can change the course of your dreams are always neat! I once had a dream that I was shot in the shoulder! That was the moment I became aware I was dreaming because I was not injured when I was shot. In that moment things in the dream calmed down, a man with a suit case approached me and showed me how to manipulate my dream with a keyboard he had inside the suitcase. Each key was a hexagon, which I thought was very strange. When I tried to leave everything in the dream was chasing me, but I was able to do so many things to get away!!! I could jump so high and partly fly. Dreaming is so awesome!!! I'm glad to hear of more people who have shared in these experiences!
      -Chris

      Delete