Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Journal Entry for 8 July 2014 - Fruit Days

Twice a week I partake in an exercise of will as part of my studies. Fruit Day we call it. Initially it was only once a week and then that expanded to two days in a row. Monday and Tuesdays. What is defined as a fruit for these two days are not exactly what you would think always. There are the usual bananas and apples of course but then there is also squash... I was thrown off by this the first time I heard this. The standard for acceptable fruits are defined as having a seed, then fruit, and then the skin surrounding it. So squash and cucumbers are okay but strawberries aren't. I'm allowed any seasonings, except sugar...that's not a seasoning even if I say that I'd like to season it with sugar...(insert frowning face here).

I've become well adapt at cooking around the standards in place. Though sometimes I settle for a meal of avocado seasoned with lemon pepper, which is surprisingly good and filling. Very healthy too! My all time go-to favorite dish to make is Fruit Day Chili. The main ingredient is butternut squash. Dice that up, simmer it to become soft in consistency, toss in a pot with diced tomatoes, peppers if you desire, add some tomato sauce and season with cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, chili pepper for a kick, and you are pretty well good to go once that is heated long enough for the seasonings to settle in. Some days I experiment with the ingredients and make it more Italian based, adding black and green olives throwing in parsley and oregano seasonings, some paprika as well, and tone down the chili seasoning. It's a good idea to keep things changing for fruit days. It's too easy to fall into a habit of cooking the same thing over and over until you are so tired and bored of that taste come next fruit day.

So today I experimented again! I tried to see if I could make a french fry out of sliced up butternut squash. So far it is not a success. Butternut squash does not share the potatoes super power of becoming french fries. (Sigh) So now, on my stove is a plate of mushy butternut squash that is needing to be seasoned. I am torn between seasoning options right now. Should I add a tang flavor, spicy flavor, or just a strong combination of garlic, onion, salt and pepper? Choices choices choices. These are the questions on fruit day.

No comments:

Post a Comment